Can you live properly without a functioning BODY?
Your body is an essential asset that you use daily, and this indicates the importance of your Physical WellBeing and why you should work on improving it.
Previously I drew the image of WellBeing as one body, and your physical wellbeing represents the right leg in that body symbolizing one limb you use for movement.
That’s why taking care of your physical wellbeing is crucial if you’re interested in moving on in your life.
Here you go, 7 main benefits and reasons why physical wellbeing is important
1- Prevent diseases
All toolkits and tools in the physical wellbeing are working to improve health and preventing diseases as the following examples:
- Type 2 diabetes due to overweight as one of the reasons, can be managed to tools like eating healthy, exercising, and sleeping right.
- Heart Attacks due to high cholesterol as one of the causes, can be prevented with eating healthy, and exercising
- Musculoskeletal pain due to wrong posture while working or sitting can be prevented by applying good ergonomics.
- Flu, and COVID-19 due to infected surfaces as one of the reasons, can be prevented by frequently washing hands.
- Accidents like cut wounds, can be prevented with the proper following to the safety measures.
2- Live Longer
Research found that individuals with moderate or high activity levels enjoyed an extended lifespan of more than 1.3 and 3.5 years respectively
Another study revealed that being active with having a healthy weight can add up to 7 years to your life.
3- Protect mental health
A number of studies have found that exercise helps depression. There are many views as to how exercise helps people with depression:
- Exercise may block negative thoughts or distract you from daily worries.
- Exercising with others provides an opportunity for increased social contact.
- Increased fitness may lift your mood and improve your sleep patterns.
- Exercise may also change levels of chemicals in your brain, such as serotonin, endorphins and stress hormones.
Related: What is Mental Wellbeing? 7 Important Questions To Know
4- Manage weight
Physical wellbeing tools of Nutrition, exercising, and sleeping good help with the weight management, each with different mechanism
Nutrition fuels you with the right nutrients, minerals, and vitamins needed for your body to thrive
Exercise burns excess fat and builds muscles
Sleep regulates your hormones and controls the actions performed by the nutrition and exercise tools.
5- Increase productivity
Physical wellbeing tools like exercise, eating right, sleeping well, and working with the right posture help increasing your focus, providing you with energy, and lack of pain.
6- Improve Other habits
If you read one of these amazing books about habits “ The Power of Habit” by Charles Duhigg, or “Atomic Habits” by James Clear, you’ll know that some of the habits are called KEY HABITS.
That’s because adopting them get the ball rolling for other habits as well without even planning to adjust them, and Physical WellBeing has one of these Key habits in place which is Exercise.
When you build the habit of exercising you tend to eat right to not waste the effort of your exercise, and it helps you sleep better, and it decreases your smoking or alcohol consumption, and it increases your productivity, and, and , and…
7- Improve Finance
When you’re healthy you’re saving medications money, hospitalization money, lost working days money, etc.
Also, when you have a healthy body, and mind, you’re more likely to work better, longer, produce more, and gain more money.
Related: What Is Financial Wellbeing: 6 Things You Should Know
Next Actions You Can Do
The informing part is done, let’s get to the transforming part
Next Actions you can do today to begin your physical wellbeing improvement is as follows:
1- Identify Your Level
Before you can begin your journey, you need to know where you are right now, and for that you can use the general assessment question mentioned before to identify your current level:
On a scale from 0-10, 0 being low, and 10 being highest, how would you rank your physical wellbeing today?
2- Create a Goal
Perfect!! Your current level is identified, and now you have to set a destination for your journey.
Your current level could be 7 and the level you want to aim for is 8. If this is the case, then you can create the following goal
- Improving my overall physical wellbeing to 8 by 2021.
So, head over to your goals list in your system and add a goal for your physical wellbeing
3- Create Projects
For each goal to happen you need one or more projects. So now it’s time for you to plan how will you achieve your goal above, and what are the projects needed for you to achieve that goal
Examples may include:
- Decrease waist circumference by 5 cm within 3 months
- Increase water consumption to 7 cups a day
- Maintaining 3-5 times exercise each week
4- Next Actions
Amazing job so far! Now you have your goal, and projects. Next is to drill further down to the simple actions that you can start acting on now.
- @Phone: Call the gym to ask about membership prices or times
- @Laptop: Take the sleeping quiz
- @Laptop: Buy a cheap work out program
- @Home: Read Atomic Habits book
- @Errands: Buy a waist circumference tape
- @Errands: Buy 2 dumbbells
- @Phone: Call my nutritionist to book an appointment
- @Errands: Do an In-body measurement to check fat%
- @Laptop: Search for online Body Mass Index calculator
Couple of resources that you can use are:
1- The WellBeing Coaching
We can interact with each other 1 on 1 using the WellBeing Coaching, and come up with a specific plan just for you and tack it down till its completion
2- The WellBeing Toolkits Community
You can join the WellBeing Toolkits Community to ask questions, seek support from myself and others, or give support to myself and others.
3- Recommended Books
Check these 5 Physical WellBeing Books For Your Health and Fitness
- Franco OH, de Laet C, Peeters A, Jonker J, Mackenbach J, & Nusselder W. (2005). EFfects of physical activity on life expectancy with cardiovascular disease. Archives of Internal Medicine, 165(20), 2355–2360. doi:10.1001/archinte.165.20.2355
Pingback: How To Improve Your Physical Wellbeing Using These 5 Essential Tools